Our Self-building an Earthship online course is for people building their own home and interested in learning about Earthships. The course lasts around two months. Each week there is 6 to 8 hours of self study and a virtual online class.
Earthship online course participants will gain the knowledge and confidence to take their ideas to the next stage. Everyone who completes the course will receive a certificate. This is sent via email after the course.
This course will build on the good work of Mike Reynolds. It focuses on adapting Earthships to the UK and other European climates.
The next course dates are:
- 26th January to 3rd March
What the Earthship online course covers
This course covers:
- Tools to help you evaluate a potential building site
- What to think about when designing an eco home
- Basics of building physics
- How a building can use solar gains
- Insulation, airtightness and ventilation
- Suitable micro-renewables
- How to collect and purify rain water
- Natural materials and how to source and use eco friendly materials.
Self-building an Earthship online course outline
The Self-building an Earthship online course is 7 modules. Each module is a week long:
- Introduction: Why build an Earthship? Making it happen! Finding a plot, planning permission, Building Control & finances.
- Heating & Cooling: Heating, cooling, passive solar, ventilation, insulation and airtightness.
- Materials & Interiors: Building materials, daylight, glazing, lighting & how to incorporate food in earthship design & why it matters
- Water: Rainwater harvesting, grey and black water recycling and off-grid sewage.
- Power: Solar, wind, biomass and other renewable energy systems, off-grid power and storage.
- Case Studies: Various European earthships, Earthship Brighton & Earthship France.
- Design your earthship: Combine everything you've learnt and design your own earthship.
What each earthship online course module includes
- Exclusive recorded talks
- Chapters of ‘Earthships in Europe’ (provided as a PDF)
- Building up a design for ‘your’ Earthship through the course with a homework exercise each week
- Live Q&A Zoom session with other people at the end of each module. Each session lasts 60 minutes and is recorded.
What people say about the Earthship online course
- "Everything was so well explained and very throughly put together. I feel confident I could make a stab at building my own home now, something I wouldn't have believed before taking this course, and I haven't lifted a single hammer." - Jez
- "Really grateful that both tutors allowed time to share hand-on experiences, and gave valuable feedback to all our sometimes basic questions." - Dana
- "My first time doing an online course and I was amazed at how well it was presented, no technical problems, everyone was made welcome, and there was a good level of interaction between the lectures and the participants." - Salome
- "Just to say thanks very much to you and Becki for a fascinating course. It had excellent course materials, and I got a lot of insights from the questions and discussions." - Alan Patrick
Self-building an Earthship online course tutors
Rebecca Sarll is a qualified trainer. She has an MSc in Architecture: Advanced Environmental and Energy Studies (Distinction) from the Centre for Alternative Technology. She has experience of building with hemp lime, straw bale and eco renovation and standard materials.
Mischa Hewitt was one of the project managers of Earthship Brighton. He is a co-author of the book 'Earthships in Europe'. He has an MSc in Architecture: Advanced Environmental and Energy Studies (Distinction) from the Centre for Alternative Technology. He is a Passivhaus Designer and has worked on many new build and eco renovation projects.